Deaths of couple killed by carbon monoxide poisoning on boat at Wroxham Broad were ‘totally avoidable’, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
An inquest has been held into the 'extremely sad and totally avoidable' deaths of a couple who died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning on their boat.
Alan Frost and Tina Wilkins, along with their dog, were found in June last year aboard Love for Lydia, which was moored by Wroxham Island, on Wroxham Broad.
The inquest, held on Thursday at Norfolk coroner's court in Norwich, heard that the Essex couple were discovered by Adrian Cook, who sells ice-cream from his boat on the waterways.
In a statement read aloud at the inquest, he said he spotted the boat moored up two days in a row, but 'didn't think too much of it'.
It was on the third day that, with the mooring only permitting boats to stop for 24 hours, he decided to take a closer look.
You may also want to watch:
'I banged with my hand on the back of the boat and shouted 'ice cream', but no-one appeared,' he said.
He craned to peer into the boat, which had part of its back canopy open, and said he could see someone laying down, but they 'didn't flinch' when he shouted.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church
He said: 'I was worried now about what was in the boat.'
Joined by another man, the pair ventured onto the boat and, after seeing the couple, called the emergency services.
A Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) report has since suggested the couple were overcome by exhaust fumes from the boat's engine, which may have been running to charge the batteries.
Thursday's inquest heard that Mr Frost had bought the boat in 2016, and it was their first holiday on board.
A pre-purchase check noted that the boat did not have a carbon monoxide alarm, but installing one was not a recommendation.
The inquest heard how the cabin was not ventilated property, and that carbon monoxide levels reached 2,000 parts per million (PPM) in the helm in 39 seconds.
Thirty-five PPM is considered a permissible exposure level.
The MAIB has called for greater awareness of carbon monoxide dangers for leisure boaters.
Area coroner Yvonne Blake described the couple's deaths as 'extremely sad and totally avoidable' and recorded a narrative conclusion.
'They died as a result of lethal carbon monoxide levels within the boat,' she said.