Death of Norfolk man Sam Alger in Barcelona not treated as suspicious by Spanish police
- Credit: supplied
The death of a Norfolk man in Barcelona is not being treated as suspicious, Spanish police have confirmed today.
Sam Alger, 25, from Necton near Swaffham, died after an evening out in the Spanish city last month.
He had been missing for nearly 36 hours after attending the Elrow festival in Viladecans, near Barcelona airport El Prat on June 19 before his body was found on nearby farmland.
The cause of his death remains a mystery but, following an autopsy, Spanish police have confirmed the death was not suspicious and their investigation has now closed.
A police spokesman was unable to give any further details of the post mortem examination.
Mr Alger used to play for Dereham Town Football Club and first team manager Matt Henman described him as a 'genuine' lad who made a lasting impression on everyone he met.
Mr Alger worked as a performance analyst for the Qatar Stars League professional football team in the Middle East.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 4 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 5 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 6 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 7 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 8 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 9 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 10 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
After he was reported missing the Facebook page 'Find Sam Alger Missing in Barcelona' was set up.
Hundreds of messages of condolence have been left on the Facebook page since his death was announced.
Tributes on the Facebook page read: 'No one can quite believe what has happened and everyone is truly heartbroken.
'Thank you everyone for the help and support and prayers, we appreciate it so much.
'Sam was one of the kindest most genuine and loving people anyone could wish to know and to have him taken from us is truly heartbreaking.'