Deadline extended for entries into Miss Beccles and carnival prince and princess competition
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2016
There's still time to enter this year's Miss Beccles, prince and princess competition.
The organisers of Beccles Carnival have extended the deadline for applications until Monday, May 8, at 5pm, due to only having a handful of entrants so far.
The competition is being staged on Sunday, May 14, at Beccles Public Hall when the new Miss Beccles, carnival prince and two princess attendants will be selected to represent the town at the carnival on Saturday and Sunday, August 19 and 20. They will also attend various functions, fundraisers and fetes in the area throughout the year.
The princess role is open to girls between the ages of eight and 13, with the same age range for those wishing to become prince. And the Miss Beccles competition is open to those aged 17 and over.
Anyone who lives within 10 miles of the Public Hall is invited to enter, or who works or goes to school in Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
Denise Feek, one of the organisers, said: 'We cannot stress enough that it is not a beauty contest - all contestants will be judged on their personality, poise and dress sense.
'We are looking for girls that will represent the town and do it proud at various events during the year.'
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
Annette Tackley, the main carnival organiser, added: 'The competition is open to all so if you have a sister, daughter, mum, or friend who you think would make a great ambassador for Beccles get them to enter now. We have had ladies in their 40s enter into the competition and it is always nice to have different aged Miss Beccles representatives.'
The queen and princess roles have been part of Beccles Carnival for more than 50 years, with the prince role introduced for the first time last year.
The competition will start at 3pm, with doors opening at 2.30pm. Tickets will be available on the door at £3 per adult and £1 per child. There is no cost for competitors.
Application forms are available to download at www.becclescarnival.co.uk. For more information email email@example.com or call 01502 715671. Entrants will not be accepted on the night.