De ice windows or it’s your lookout if you have accident
- Credit: PA
As many as a third of British motorists have experienced or come close to a car accident this winter after not fully de-icing their car before driving.
And only a tenth of relevant participants admitted they would ensure their car was fully de-iced in the future. Most of those who did not de-ice their car thoroughly before a journey revealed they did so because they were running late and did not think they could spare the extra time.
The research, by money-saving website www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, surveyed 2,340 qualified drivers with their own cars.
They were asked to reveal if they had experienced a car accident or come close to having one this winter. While almost half (48%) said that they had not, 36% had come close. The remaining 16% had experienced some form of motoring incident this winter.
Those who had experienced a recent accident or been close were then asked to reveal the cause. Researchers gave them a list of possible answers and were asked to select all that applied to them. The top five results were:
1 Lack of visibility – 41%.
2 Poor weather conditions – 37%.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 4 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 5 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 6 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 7 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 8 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 9 Factory worker was found dead at home, court told
- 10 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
3 Speeding – 24%.
4 Lack of concentration – 19%.
5 Caused by other drivers – 11%.
Then they were asked if there had been snow or ice on their cars on the morning they set off on a journey that proved dangerous – more than half (53%) admitted that there had been. When asked if they had de-iced their car properly that day, one in three (34%) said they had not de-iced their car fully, with 58% saying that they had done so. The remaining 8% said they could not be sure. Of those who said they had not de-iced their car properly, 61% admitted it was as a result of running late and not having enough time to do so, with 22% confessing that they did not have the correct de-icing equipment in their vehicle. Interestingly, only 11% said that they would be ensuring their car was properly de-iced in future.
Have you hit anything or had a near miss because of poor visibility? Email email@example.com