David Bowie asked to join Suffolk man’s band after 1964 gig in Lowestoft
- Credit: PA WIRE
A Suffolk man has recalled how a young David Bowie asked if he could join his band during a gig in Lowestoft.
70-year-old Rod Scott from Beyton, Suffolk played bass in The Raiders in the early sixties and performed at a concert with the then David Jones, aged 17, who was part of a band called The Riot Squad.
Mr Scott said: 'The Riot Squad seemed to be a band that changed members more often than they changed their socks.
'They were quite raucous and rough and ready. David was very well spoken. After the gig he asked if he could join our band.'
However, Mr Scott's band mate Brian Seaman, turned him down as they already had enough members.
The Raiders were joined on stage by a young Bowie for one song where he played rhythm guitar and saxophone, as well providing some backing vocals.
The venue for the gig was the former Royal Hotel, now the East Point Pavilion, which has hosted many rock legends over the years including the Rolling Stones in 1963.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
Mr Scott recalls the reputation the venue had with 'The Trawlerboys' coming along 'for a bit of a punch up'.
The two bands shared a dressing room, and Mr Scott gave his first impression of the teenager who would go on to be an icon.
'He was David Jones then and very, very shy but he was a very likeable chap.'
He added: 'I think he will go down as one of the greatest creators in the music industry. Where he pulled his music from I do not know. He was a really clever man.'
Mr Scott's favourite Bowie song is the 1970 track The Man who Sold the World.
Bowie returned to Lowestoft for a gig in June 1966, performing as David Bowie and The Buzz.
• Do you have any memories of David Bowie performing in Lowestoft? Email email@example.com