Damaged Finkelgate house in Norwich could now be demolished
A city-centre street plagued by subsidence could be closer to fully reopening more than 12 months after it was forced to shut.
Finkelgate, which connects Queens Road with Ber Street, closed after cracks were spotted at a terraced property on Christmas Eve 2010, prompting fears it could collapse.
But plans to demolish number 16 Finkelgate have now been submitted to Norwich City Council, raising hopes the problems could be nearing to an end.
Planning documents state: 'Following subsidence the property is beyond economic repair.'
They add: 'The demolition will result in a plot that is likely to have little use to the current owner, Mr [Neil] Harrison, and it is anticipated that he will seek to dispose of it.
You may also want to watch:
'We understand that Notre Dame School is interested but discussions are at a very preliminary stage.
'There is also the possibility that the owner of number 14 Finkelgate may be interested in acquiring the land as additional garden.'
- 1 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 2 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 3 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 4 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 5 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 6 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 7 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
- 8 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 9 Third time lucky for historic pub's reopening
- 10 More than two weeks of A47 lane closures to begin from tonight
If approved, the work is predicted to start in the week commencing February 6 and finish in the week commencing March 26.
Amy Stammers, a Green Party councillor for the Mancroft ward, said several residents had been worried by the street's problems.
She said: 'It's going to remain a concern until they can work out if the subsidence is a problem for the other houses.'
Resident Freddy Papworth, 21, said he had enjoyed the lack of traffic.
The 21-year-old joked: 'It's been really quiet in the street and I would prefer it if they kept it quiet.'
The Evening News reported last month the road had partially re-opened, with traffic able to enter from Ber Street and leave at Queens Road. But no-entry signs remain to prevent vehicles entering Finkelgate from Queens Road.
An agreement to demolish number 16 broke the long-running deadlock.
This allowed the city council, which has responsibility for the road, to re-open the street.