Cycling star at Norfolk festival
- Credit: Archant
One of the country's leading young cyclists will be renewing her Norfolk links when she visits a cycling festival in the county this weekend.
Victoria Williamson will be one of the star attractions at the Pedal Norfolk cycle festival taking place in North Norfolk from today until Monday.
The sprint cyclist, who is based in Manchester, grew up in Norfolk and went to Norwich High School. At 15 she made the switch from athletics to cycling and was scouted by Girls4Gold which aims to get athletes from other sports into cycling. Her next achievement was to be accepted into the Olympic Development Programme.
In 2011 at the Juniors Track World Championships in Moscow, Victoria won silver in the 500m time trial, a bronze in the sprint and came fifth in the keirin. Earlier this year in Minsk at the 2013 Track World Championships, Victoria won a bronze medal with partner Becky James in the team sprint.
Pedal Norfolk is a three-day sportive festival which will be based at Holkham Hall in North Norfolk with each day's riding heading out in a different direction. Those taking part will have the option to do 250 miles in total with a 100 mile route on two days and a final slower 50 miles on the third day. There will also be options to camp in the wonderful surroundings of the parkland at Holkham and there will be a whole range of activities and entertainment for families and for people wanting to do more gentle routes.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Flett, Pedal Norfolk director, said: 'We are all delighted Victoria Williamson will be coming to the festival as it will be a real boost for everyone to have such a successful cyclist at the event. She will be starting the races on Saturday and Sunday and will also take part in one of the routes on the Saturday.'
The three-day event has been designed to offer something for all the family with signposted routes for shorter and more leisurely rides. For campers there will be shower and toilet facilities as well as the opportunity to buy meals throughout the weekend. With Holkham's new woodland play area open for children and the wide open sands of Holkham beach just a few minutes away it will provide the perfect location for the Bank Holiday weekend.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 7 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 8 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 9 Norfolk and Waveney's 30 under 30 - from world-beating athletes to business owners
- 10 Rescuers resume search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
Full details of all the rides, facilities and other activities can be found on www.pedalnorfolk.co.uk