Crowds flock to Halesworth for festive lights switch-on
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The community spirit was evident in a popular market town as hundreds of people turned out for a 'wonderful' Christmas lights switch-on.
A procession led by Santa attracted the crowds to Halesworth as the town was illuminated on Saturday night.
With the festive lights looking 'lovely,' according to organisers from Halesworth Events Management, entertainment aplenty attracted the crowds.
There were performances from Ox Blood Molly Dancers, the Halesworth Festival Voices the band Backtrackin and a comedian on the night.
Santa got on his sleigh and was led through the Thoroughfare by the Royal British Legion Band from Leiston to eventually arrive in the Market Place.
You may also want to watch:
With speeches prior to the switch-on, and a blessing by the Rev Jan Bunday, the Beach Radio team involved the crowds as 10-year-old Rowan Conneely – the winner of the scarecrow treasure hunt competition – counted everyone down and there was loud applause as the festive lights were turned on.
Praising everyone that had helped make the switch-on event a success, Teresa Walsh, chairman of Halesworth Events Management (HEM) said: 'It was a fantastic evening.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 7 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
'There was such a lovely atmosphere, full of smiling faces, young and old. The town was full and it was really, really lovely. The feedback we have had has been phenomenal. People have been saying how wonderful our little town looks.'
For the past four years the lights switch-on has been organised by HEM. Mrs Walsh added: 'An older gentleman had tears rolling down his face as he told us he had never seen Halesworth look so beautiful. That summed up the feelings, and is so humbling. The HEM committee would like to thank everyone who turned out or supported this event, and especially to the Halesworth Lions for providing the sleigh as Father Christmas arrived in style.'