Norfolk pub gets five-star hygiene rating - six months after kitchen was closed when mouldy beans were found in fridge
PUBLISHED: 08:16 09 November 2017 | UPDATED: 17:51 09 November 2017
A Wymondham pub has completed a remarkable revival by getting a five-star hygiene rating only six months after being served with a food prohibition notice.
The kitchen at the Cross Keys was closed on the spot in May when environmental health officer Grizelle Britton found the fridge was stocked with mouldy beans and sandwich filler three months past its use-by-date.
Shortly after the kitchen’s closure, experienced publican Grayam Fox was appointed as the new manager.
Mr Fox made rectifying the kitchen his top priority, and now six months on, the inn has received the highest possible hygiene rating from South Norfolk Council.
Mr Fox said: “We immediately got to work on the kitchen. Every bracket was removed and the walls and ceilings were scrubbed clean.
“We also repaired and cleaned the floor and thoroughly cleaned and remodelled the cellar.”
Mr Fox added that the guidance of others had assisted their dramatic turnaround.
He said: “We have a brilliant relationship with the council’s environmental health officer who gave us some really great advice. Also, one of our regulars is a specialist in industrial deep cleaning and he was able to provide some excellent support.”
When environmental health officer Annmarie Leigh returned to assess the pub, she was astonished by the transformation and awarded the Cross Keys Inn five stars.
She said: “It was a remarkable turnaround and they have obviously worked hard and taken all the advice on board.”
Councillor Yvonne Bendle said: “We work with businesses to ensure they maintain high food hygiene standards - 95% of our business have a top score of 5 and 98% have 4 or above. But on very rare occasions, we have to act immediately to ensure the safety of residents and visitors.”
Speaking in Norwich Magistrates Court six months ago, Mrs Britton said: “I was concerned because I felt there was an immediate risk to human health from anything that came out of this kitchen. The conditions found on the day were extremely unacceptable and we wouldn’t expect any food business to have such conditions in the kitchen or anywhere else on the premises.”
■ To find out hygiene ratings of eateries you visit, or plan to visit, go to ratings.food.gov.uk
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.