Cromer summer pier show will pay tribute to former deviser Robert Marlowe
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
A sparkling showbiz finale to Cromer Pier's famous summer show this year will be a tribute to its former deviser who died last year.
Robert Marlowe transformed Seaside Special from a show with sometimes more people on stage than in the audience, to a popular phenomenon which preserves one of the few remaining outposts of live variety.
The flamboyant former dancer who performed with the glitzy Folies Bergeres died in a nursing home last November aged 86.
The Pier has now finalised its cast and show line up for this summer, and announced that the finale of the second show - Strictly Seaside - will be in tribute to Mr Marlowe.
A spokesman for show managers Openwide said the show was an 'unashamed review of all that is great about the seaside and variety', and the finale, a medley of iconic movie and showbiz numbers was a fitting tribute to Mr Marlowe who was at the venue from 1982 to 2002.
You may also want to watch:
This year's cast sees the return of Dain Cordean whose mix of magic, comedy and compering skills were a hit when he headlined last summer.
He is joined by pint-sized comic Jo Little, who appeared in the Christmas Seaside Special, impressionist Danny Posthill and vocalist David Jon O'Neill - along with the dancers, well-known for their versatility switching from high-energy routines to classical ballet.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 10 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
The first of two alternating shows in the Special's 36th year, will be Variety Dotcom.
It is celebration of the advances in communication from telegraph to Twitter - with a visit to the code breakers of Bletchley to see how the very first computer called 'Colossus' took shape and helped change history.
Pier managers Openwide also said the Abba-style finale would test out newly-strengthened pier.
Seaside Special opens on June 15 and runs to September 28.
? Ticket prices have been held for this season at £9.50 to £19.50. For bookings and information visit www.cromer-pier.com, or call the box office on 01263 512495.
A new loyalty card has also been launched offering regular Cromer Pier customers points which will earn them a £15 voucher off ticket purchases. Points will be earned through purchases ranging from show tickets to refreshments - as well as for supporting the venue by displaying advertising banners and introducing new customers.
Information about the card is available at any Cromer Pier outlet.
See this week's North Norfolk News to find out how to earn 10,000 card bonus points.