Crisp family honoured with plaque following Beccles train station refurbishment
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A plaque has been presented to celebrate the refurbishment of Beccles train station.
The Dr Nicholson award was presented to the family of the late Arthur Crisp this week, for the project which was delivered by the Beccles and District Regeneration Company.
It was the wish of Mr Crisp that the building at Beccles railway station be restored to its former glory and become a thriving gateway to the town.
And, after more than two years of work, that wish came true, with family, friends and supporters of the project gathering for the grand opening back in June 2016.
The building has been in the Crisp family for around 20 years and Mr Crisp died more than two years ago, just as the refurbishment project was getting off the ground.
Christine Pinsent, chairman of the Beccles and District Generation Company said: 'We are very pleased that the Beccles Society has agreed to present this award.
'The regeneration was something which was long wanted by the Crisp family. They feel really honoured by the award which reflects the work they have put in to help the station, which is a huge asset to the town.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 5 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 8 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
Work at the train station included four new offices for local businesses, two large multi-purpose rooms as well as a cafe.
The award is made by the Beccles Society for private or commercial developments that add to the town's character, particularly buildings that enhance, preserve or extend the history of the town.
The group's chairman Paul Fletcher said: 'The work undertaken on the project had been carried out by many volunteers and other interested parties, who had shown great dedication and expertise in achieving what has resulted in a very fine, high standard of restoration of the station building and its interior.
'The Nicholson Award is dedicated to promoting interest and encouraging good development in the unique character of Beccles.
'So it has given us great pleasure to present our Nicholson Award to the late Arthur Crisp and family for this well executed project by Beccles and District Regeneration Company, to a design by Ian Garrett.'