Youth on trial for attack on boy in Chapelfield Gardens denies his part in the incident

Chapelfield Gardens. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Chapelfield Gardens. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: copyright: Archant 2014

One of two youths on trial after a terrifying attack in city park has said he was not involved in the incident and cannot remember which of his friends were.

The youth, who was 17 at the time of the incident in Norwich's Chapelfield Gardens on November 11 last year and has since turned 18, said he 'had his back turned' during most of the fight.

The incident left a 15-year-old boy with his ear sliced in two, needing plastic surgery.

The 18-year-old and another boy, who was 14 at the time, had denied wounding with intent and having bladed articles.

However, today (Thursday, July 27), after direction from Judge Katharine Moore at Norwich Crown Court, a jury found the 18-year-old not guilty of the weapons offence as there was no evidence for it.


You may also want to watch:


Taking the stand, he said he had been at the park with the 14-year-old co-defendant, two other boys, his girlfriend and some of her female friends at about 8pm, when they were approached by another group of boys.

He said one of his male friends got into a fight with the 15-year-old victim who was in the other group, and after watching the fight for 'three or four minutes' he joined his girlfriend at the park's bandstand and did not witness more than two people being involved.

Most Read

He said: 'One of my friends had a conflict with one of the others. They had an argument using lots of mouth, and it just turned into a little fight.

READ MORE: Teen witness of Chapelfield Gardens attack in which boy, 15, had his ear severed described it as a 'little fight' court heard'My girlfriend called me over and said 'come and sit with me and my friends'.

'I saw two boys having a one-on-one fight, not my problem.'

Lindsay Cox, prosecuting, asked if anyone in the 18-year-old's group had a weapon, such as an axe, but the defendant said he had not seen any.

Mr Cox questioned whether the defendant could really not remember which of his friends was involved, or had not seen anything after the first three or four minutes.

He said: 'I'm suggesting that that is simply unbelievable.

'I'm suggesting that it is just rubbish that it was a one-on-one fight. It is a vicious, savage and brutal attack involving boys with stabbing and stamping.'

On Wednesday, Mr Cox said a witness had described how the victim was kicked to the floor and the group then started kicking and punching him, while another older boy, known as Timmy T, was slashing the victim a number of times with a jagged bladed knife.

He said the victim finally managed to run away but said the witness had not seen the boy's injuries as he was taken away in an ambulance.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter