Wrentham gas explosion prosecution sees Norwich man in court

PUBLISHED: 15:47 15 May 2012 | UPDATED: 17:25 15 May 2012

Gas explosion and fire at Chapel Lane, Wrentham.

Gas explosion and fire at Chapel Lane, Wrentham.

Archant © 2010

A gas installer has received a suspended prison sentence and 250 hours of unpaid work after his inadequate work on domestic gas appliances put the lives of a mother and daughter at risk in their own home.

James Hampson, 34, of Knowland Grove, Norwich, installed a new gas boiler and associated pipework at Lynn Brown’s home on Chapel Road in Wrentham, near Lowestoft, on December 22, 2010.

On the morning of December 24, 2010 Mrs Brown, switched on an electric kettle in her kitchen and her home exploded, causing extensive burns to her and her daughter Lucy Green.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the joint between the emergency control valve on the boiler and the flexible pipe upstream of the meter was not tightened properly and as a result was leaking gas.

The gas meter, as well as the pipework leading from it, was also inadequately secured.

The gas leaked throughout the house and was ignited when Mrs Brown switched on the kettle.

As well as causing severe injuries to her and her daughter, the resulting fire and explosion caused major structural damage to their home.

Ipswich Crown Court was told today that Mr Hampson had failed to ensure that the work he had carried out on the property was properly completed, therefore putting lives at risk.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Malcolm Crowther said: “Working with gas appliances is specialised and potentially very dangerous.

“In this case, Mr Hampson’s unsafe work cost a mother and daughter their health and their home. It could have cost them their lives.

“Mr Hampson was qualified to do the work but on this occasion he failed to ensure that all gas connections were sufficiently tight, which was a serious mistake.

“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who put lives at risk in this way.”

Hampson, who was self-employed and trading as Ryan Services at the time, admitted breaching Regulations 6(1) and 7(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

Hampson was said to be devastated by what had happened and his thoughts were with Mrs Brown and her daughter.

He had no previous convictions and is still a Gas Safe registered installer.

He was ordered to pay £10,000 costs in addition to his eight month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and hours of unpaid work.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press