Woman who jumped into River Wensum said it was a “cry for help”

PUBLISHED: 15:27 08 December 2017 | UPDATED: 20:28 08 December 2017

Norwich Magistrates' Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Norwich Magistrates' Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY


A woman who jumped into the River Wensum in what she describes as a desperate “cry for help” is hoping she is finally getting the support to help her with her mental health difficulties.

Hayleigh Fisher, 25, formerly of Aylsham Road, Norwich, ended up in court over the incident, and admitted causing a public nuisance by jumping into the River Wensum on November 29 and November 30.

Anna Crayford, prosecuting, told Norwich Magistrates that on two occasions Fisher had jumped into the water and said police, ambulance crews and the Broads Authority were among emergency services who attended on the two occasions.

She said as well as resources involved in attending the scene, there were also lengthy road disruptions.

The court heard the incidents took place shortly after Fisher had been given a conditional discharge after she had threatened to throw herself off the flyover at Anglia Square and had climbed onto the roof of St Stephens car park.

Rob New, for Fisher, said that she had been in the mental health care system since she was young and suffered from a number of problems including personality disorder.

He said at the time of the offence she heard voices in her head, which were telling her she was of no benefit and the world would be a better place if she ended her life.

Mr New said that she had also been without her medication.

However, since this latest incident she has now moved into 24-hour warden accommodation and started back on her medication

He said: “She is now in accommodation more appropriate for her needs. When she takes her medication things seem to improve dramatically.”

After hearing about her progress, Chairman of the bench Caroline Money did not impose any further penalty as Fisher is still subject to a conditional discharge and told her: “I hope you will stay out of trouble.”

She is also subject to a mental health treatment requirement.

After the case Ms Fisher said of her actions; “It was a cry for help. I felt I was not getting anywhere.”

Her father, who was there to support her in court, said that her actions were out of desperation as she had been having mental health problems since she was 13, when she was bullied at school.

He said she was not a criminal: “The only person she was putting at risk was herself.”

The Samaritans are available to talk 24 hours a day on 116 123.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press