Woman admits causing public nuisance after threatening to jump off St Crispins flyover

PUBLISHED: 11:24 25 October 2017 | UPDATED: 14:45 25 October 2017

Magdalen Street flyover.

Magdalen Street flyover. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2017

A “fragile and emotional” woman who caused multiple road closures after threatening to throw herself off St Crispins flyover will have dedicated mental health workers assigned to her.

Hayleigh Fisher, 25, of Aylsham Road, admitted two counts of causing a public nuisance after climbing to the top of the flyover and St Stephens car park on two separate occasions, prompting road closures and emergency service responses.

Prosecutor Jane Walker told Norwich Magistrates Court the first incident, on September 22, occurred despite Fisher being detained under the Mental Health Act the previous evening.

“Police received a call at 6.45pm from the defendant’s support worker saying she had left Aylsham Road in a taxi saying she was going to throw herself off the flyover at Anglia Square,” she said.

“The previous evening police had attended a similar incident at St Stephens. The defendant had been detained under sec 136 of the Mental Health Act but had been discharged. Arrangements had been made for her to see the crisis team - which she failed to do.

“On the day in question around the flyover there were co-ordinated road closures that had to be put in place owing to the risks the defendant posed to herself and others.”

On October 12, Fisher climbed onto the roof to St Stephens car park.

“Police arrived and there was a female sitting on the top floor of the car park with her feet over the edge,” said Ms Walker. “Advice was sought from the mental health team who advised she does not engage very well with support that is offered. Resources of the police were very badly stretched that night and complaints were made by members of the public.”

Alistair Taunton, mitigating for Fisher, said: “She has been going through a very unstable period. She remains a fragile individual and was clearly in an emotional state of mind. She has not intended to cause other people injury or waste police time. There are times it seems she gets a wall in front of her and only sees taking her own life as a way out.”

Chair of the bench Geoff Dyett sentenced Fisher to a 12 month community order with a rehabilitation activity requirement for up to 30 days. She will be assigned two workers for a six month mental health treatment requirement.

“All of us here want you to be a good, law abiding member of society,” he told Fisher, who was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £85 and costs of £85.

The Samaritans are available to talk 24 hours a day on 116 123.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast