Warning over Norfolk and Suffolk council tax text scams
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
Watchdogs have warned people in Norfolk in Suffolk not to fall for scam texts offering council tax refunds.
Norfolk Trading Standards said they had received reports of people in Norfolk being sent the texts, while Mid Suffolk Council said there had also been attempts to con people over the border.
People have been urged not to respond to the texts.
Earlier this month, Norfolk Trading Standards issued a warning about telephone cold calls claiming that 'less energy efficient houses will pay more council tax'.
The cold caller, who had targeted somebody in Norfolk, talked about a 'carbon tax on council tax' and attempted to make an appointment to undertake 'a property survey'.
You may also want to watch:
Trading Standards urged people to be very wary of any approach made in a telephone cold call and never give or confirm any personal details or agree to someone visiting your home if approached in this manner.
Anyone who needs advice about cold calling or have agreed to a visit during a cold call should contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life