Warning after reports of dogs being poisoned at Mousehold Heath
- Credit: Archant
A warning has been issued to dog owners using Norwich's Mousehold Heath amid reports that a number of dogs may have poisoned.
Voluntary group Mousehold Heath Defenders issued a warning after reports on Facebook that at least two dogs had become ill after eating something at the heath.
The group posted a message on Facebook yesterday (Saturday, February 29) stating: "We are very unsure of the details but we have received a warning that there is one, possibly two dogs at the vets receiving treatment after being on Mousehold Heath, possibly after eating something on the Heath."
They urged dog owners to be careful and to make sure dogs do not eat anything "untoward".
The group later posted an update in which they said: "We have further information which points to the dogs having been poisoned by something they ingested on Mousehold Heath. One of the dogs is in a serious condition after being operated on by the vet to have her spleen removed.
You may also want to watch:
"The dogs were all together and became ill and started fitting within an hour of being on Mousehold. If anyone's dog becomes ill after a walk on Mousehold, we would advise taking it to the vets without delay. It could be a few days before anyone knows what poison was used." Gill Webb, chair of the Mousehold Heath Defenders later posted: "It has still not been officially confirmed that these dogs have been deliberately poisoned by eating something left on Mousehold Heath and until such a time as it is confirmed I am treating it as just a rumour.
"This is the only case that has come to my attention thus far. The relevant authorities for Mousehold Heath have been informed.
- 1 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 2 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 3 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 4 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 5 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 6 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 7 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 8 'Don't bend rules' warning to Christmas revellers
- 9 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 10 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
"All I can suggest is that we are vigilant but continue to enjoy Mousehold Heath."
Paul Scruton, who lives in Gertrude Road, said he had put up posters in the Gilman Road area, where it is believed the poison was eaten, to warn people to be on their guard.
Facebook posts suggested the dogs had been treated at Taverham Vets. However Taverham Vets would not comment.
And Norwich Companion Care, based at Pets At Home at Sprowston Retail Park, in Salhouse Road, close to Mousehold Heath, said they had not had any reports of pets which had become ill after walking on the heath.
A city council spokeswoman said: "There is no confirmation that poison has been consumed.
"We've asked the wardens to keep an eye out for anything suspicious and ask residents to report any incidents to us."