Two teens involved in Chapelfield Gardens Norwich gang attack in which boy, 15, had his ear severed, court hears
PUBLISHED: 08:00 25 July 2017 | UPDATED: 13:40 25 July 2017
Two teens took part in a terrifying group attack on a 15-year-old boy in Chapelfield Gardens, which left him with his ear sliced in two, a court heard.
The youths, who were 14 and 17 and cannot be named for legal reasons, are accused of being involved in the “frightening and violent” incident, which left the victim needing plastic surgery.
At the beginning of their trial for wounding with intent and having bladed articles, which they deny, the jury at Norwich Crown Court heard 18-year-old Tyler Tomkinson slashed the victim with a knife, causing a gaping wound to his ear.
Lindsay Cox, prosecuting, told the jury: “It concerns allegations of a violent incident in Chapelfield Gardens in which weapons are used and a serious injury was inflicted.”
He said the victim effectively had his ear “severed in two” with the skin behind his ear being so lacerated as to leave a gaping wound.
Mr Cox said Tomkinson was the “principal assailant” and had pleaded guilty to his part in the attack, which took place on November 11 last year.
However he said the youths, who were 14 and 17 at the time, were part of a group who had been punching and kicking at the victim while Tomkinson had carried out the attack, which Mr Cox described as a “frightening and very violent incident”.
He said the prosecution said it was a “joint enterprise” case as the two youths were part of the group which carried out the attack.
Mr Cox said they had joined in the assault along with others in the group.
He told the jury: “When Tomkinson was slashing down with the knife he was not acting alone, others were punching, kicking and using weapons.”
The youths have both denied wounding with intent and having bladed articles.
Mr Cox said that when arrested one youth made no comment but the other claimed that one of his friends had been in a fight with another boy which had been a “fair fight” with no weapons used.
He also claimed he had taken no part whatsoever.
Mr Cox told the jury: “These are all the questions of fact for you to determine.”
The trial continues.