Two men hospitalised after suspected carbon monoxide leak at restaurant detained by immigration enforcement
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Two men who were hospitalised after a suspected carbon monoxide leak at an Indian restaurant have been detained by immigration enforcement.
At around 11am on Wednesday, December 19, emergency services were called to Masala Cottage, in The Street, Brundall, following reports of a patient feeling unwell after a gas leak. Three men were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Norfolk police confirmed on Thursday that two of the men who were hospitalised had been detained by Home Office Immigration Enforcement , who are carrying out an investigation.
An officer from Broadland District Council's food, safety and licensing team visited the premises on Wednesday, following the notification of the incident by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
A council spokesman said: 'The officer liaised with the HSE and the police on site. The immediate safety risk at the premises was dealt with and Broadland District Council's health and safety inquiries are ongoing.'
An HSE spokesperson added: 'HSE are aware of this incident and are currently assisting Norfolk Constabulary and environmental health officers from Broadland District Council with their enquiries, following the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident at the Masala Cottage Restaurant in Brundall, Norfolk.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Masala Cottage said the restaurant would remain closed today but is due to reopen on Friday, December 21.
Three ambulances and an ambulance officer were sent to the scene on Wednesday morning, with fire crews from Sprowston and Earlham assisting the police to make the scene safe.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
By mid-afternoon, members of the public were prevented from going inside the restaurant and the windows had been left open.