Two men hospitalised after suspected carbon monoxide leak at restaurant detained by immigration enforcement
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Two men who were hospitalised after a suspected carbon monoxide leak at an Indian restaurant have been detained by immigration enforcement.
At around 11am on Wednesday, December 19, emergency services were called to Masala Cottage, in The Street, Brundall, following reports of a patient feeling unwell after a gas leak. Three men were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Norfolk police confirmed on Thursday that two of the men who were hospitalised had been detained by Home Office Immigration Enforcement , who are carrying out an investigation.
An officer from Broadland District Council's food, safety and licensing team visited the premises on Wednesday, following the notification of the incident by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
A council spokesman said: 'The officer liaised with the HSE and the police on site. The immediate safety risk at the premises was dealt with and Broadland District Council's health and safety inquiries are ongoing.'
An HSE spokesperson added: 'HSE are aware of this incident and are currently assisting Norfolk Constabulary and environmental health officers from Broadland District Council with their enquiries, following the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident at the Masala Cottage Restaurant in Brundall, Norfolk.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Masala Cottage said the restaurant would remain closed today but is due to reopen on Friday, December 21.
Three ambulances and an ambulance officer were sent to the scene on Wednesday morning, with fire crews from Sprowston and Earlham assisting the police to make the scene safe.
- 1 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 2 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 3 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 4 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 5 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
- 6 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 7 Open all hours? Retailers say no thanks to 24/7 shopping
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Seafront flats plan set for go ahead
- 10 Cannabis factory discovered after police called to burglary
By mid-afternoon, members of the public were prevented from going inside the restaurant and the windows had been left open.