Ten cats in the same Norwich street die after suspected spate of poisonings
- Credit: Archant
Up to 10 cats in the same Norwich street have died after a suspected spate of poisonings.
The RSPCA said they were found either dead or dying in Goulburn Road since Tuesday, January 13. They had all been suffering from symptoms consistent with poisoning, such as stomach upset and frothy vomit.
A black and white female called Daisy, and a tabby called Shadow, were both found dead on 13 January.
Their owner Leanne Dye said: 'My neighbour found one of my cats dead in her greenhouse and she came to let me know. I called for the other one but she didn't show up and we found her body in the shed later that same day.
'Shadow and Daisy were both found with their eyes open and foaming at the mouth surrounded by faeces. It was devastating.
'One of our neighbours found their new kitten in the same state. It was half alive so they took it to the vet and it had to be put to sleep.' Leanne added.
'I'd had Daisy for nearly eight years and Shadow was her daughter. It's been so upsetting, my four kids are devastated.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 7 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 10 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
Another black and white elderly male cat called Pilchards, who lived on the same street, was also struck down with the same symptoms. There have also been reports of up to ten other cats in the street suffering from the same conditions.
The RSPCA said that, according to residents, all the cats affected by the poisoning have died, or had to be put to sleep by vets to end their suffering.
One resident discovered her 11-month-old kitten Bruce having seizures and foaming at the mouth on Friday, January 23. Bruce also had to be taken to the vets and put to sleep. Several of the residents have then been left with £200 vet bills to deal with, as well as the tragic loss of their pets.
RSPCA inspector Ben Kirby said: 'This was a highly distressing incident and we urge anyone with any information to call us.
'It is difficult to know for sure what happened and how these poor cats were poisoned, but it is extremely concerning that so many animals died in this horrible way in such a short space of time.
'Poisoning causes a lot of pain and distress and is often fatal. It is likely all these cats suffered a lot before they died.
'We do not know for sure what the cause of the poisonings was, but would urge people to be careful when using poisonous substances - to clear up any spills and to store and discard them safely.
'There is also the worrying possibility that someone did this deliberately so if anyone has seen anything suspicious please contact us on 0300 123 8018.'
He said the RSCPA did not know if these incidents were deliberate or accidental, but wanted to want to remind people that deliberately poisoning an animal could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.
He urged people to contact their vet if there were any sings of poisoning, such as:
• lack of appetite
• breathing difficulties
• appearing drunk and uncoordinated