‘Small and pathetic’: fury as firework vandals wreck football pitch
- Credit: Archant
Vandals left car tyre marks all over a town’s football pitch as they set off fireworks.
Damage to the Myers Playing Field in Swaffham, where Swaffham Town FC play, was discovered on November 5, after residents on nearby Queens Street heard fireworks.
The damage to the top pitch will need “some careful attention” according to club secretary Ray Ewart, but he was hopeful it would recover in time for the resumption of football.
He said: “After sunset a car was heard to enter the Myers Playing Field at speed. The occupants exited the vehicle and set off two firework clusters and then departed equally as fast as they arrived.
“They must have received a very cheap thrill from their escapade: their fireworks were relatively small and pathetic.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ewart said: “Why do so much damage to a key part of the field when there is so much field that can be accessed without the use of a vehicle?”
The Pedlars’ first team’s next game will be on Saturday, December 12.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 4 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 5 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 6 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 7 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 8 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 9 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 10 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house