Search

Suspects in Cromer ‘lockdown’ rape case face no charges

PUBLISHED: 17:30 28 April 2018 | UPDATED: 17:31 28 April 2018

Picture: Archant

Picture: Archant

Archant

Two men questioned over the rape of a teenager in Cromer will not be charged due to “insufficient evidence”, police have said.

The teenager told police that she had been raped at a bus stop on Cadogan Road at around 11.30pm on August 18, the same weekend that Cromer faced widespread disorder and was put on “lockdown”.

Following a police appeal, two men were questioned and released on bail. A police spokesperson has now confirmed that no further action will be taken against them as there is not enough evidence.

“There is insufficient evidence to achieve a realistic prospect of conviction and no further action will be taken against the two identified suspects unless any further evidence comes to light,” the spokesperson said.

She added the allegation has been fully investigated by specialist officers and CCTV footage and evidence from witnesses had been thoroughly reviewed.

MORE: Cromer violence - New report shines light on police failures and suggest sweeping improvements

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Latest from the EDP

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 4°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast