Warning issued after spate of ‘scam Thomas Cook calls’
- Credit: Archant
A warning has been issued to householders following a spate of scam telephone calls from someone claiming to be from Thomas Cook.
As people try to get refunds on Thomas Cook holidays - with helplines jamming and websites crashing - chaos has ensued since the tour operator went bust.
And people in Suffolk are being warned not to be fooled by the latest scam telephone call.
Trading Standards officers have had "multiple reports" from residents who have received scam calls from someone purporting to be from Thomas Cook, claiming that they are calling to "refund their holiday payment."
A post on the Suffolk Trading Standards Facebook page said: "Scam Thomas Cook calls warning. We've had multiple reports of residents receiving telephone calls from someone purporting to be from Thomas Cook.
"The caller advises that they are calling to refund their holiday payment, and that to do so they require the recipient's bank card details, including the 3-digit card security code.
You may also want to watch:
"This is a scam!
"No Thomas Cook employee will be calling those affected by the company collapse.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
"Refunds will be issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and they will not start being processed until September 30.
"Please report any such scam calls to us via 03454 040506."
Have you had a call like this? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.