Man who punched police officer, leaving him with a bloodied nose, ordered to pay £50 compensation

PUBLISHED: 16:17 27 April 2018 | UPDATED: 16:27 27 April 2018

Steven Smith outside King's Lynn Magistrates Court. Picture: Archant

Steven Smith outside King's Lynn Magistrates Court. Picture: Archant

Archant 2018

A man who left a police officer with a bloodied nose after punching him in the face has been ordered to pay £50 compensation.

Steven Smith, of Hall Lane, West Winch, King’s Lynn, appeared in King’s Lynn Magistrates’ Court to be sentenced after he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer at a hearing in March.

The court heard how on Sunday, February 4, at 4.30am, two police officers tried to break up a fight, of which Smith was involved in, outside a taxi office in Norfolk Street, King’s Lynn.

Smith threw out a punch which landed on Pc Mark Savage’s face. The officer subsequently had to go to hospital with a bloodied nose.

Prosecutor Giles Beaumont read a statement prepared by Pc Savage, in which he said: “I accept there is an element of risk in this job.

“All I was trying to do was stop two men from fighting and prevent anybody getting hurt.”

Charlotte Winchester, mitigating for Smith, said the defendant had been waiting at the taxi office when he was shoved against the window by another man.

This led to a scuffle, at which point the police officers got involved.

Ms Winchester said the punch was not intentional and that he had hit out in self defence when another man tried to assault him.

“He wasn’t aiming at the police officer, he said he has the utmost respect for the police,” she added. “He is very sorry for what has happened.

“It was a transfer of malice that happened very quickly.”

Smith has a previous conviction for battery and was made to complete a community order by way of a four-month curfew last year.

At the hearing on March 23, Deputy District Judge Moffatt said all sentencing options had to be considered, stating: “It seems that the curfew didn’t have an impact last time.”

But in a report put together by the court’s probation team, Smith was considered at low risk of serious harm and that this offence was not considered an escalation given his previous conviction.

Chairman of the bench Jane Dykes, sentencing Smith, said the seriousness of the assault was of a level which would not warrant further work with the probation office.

She ordered Smith to pay £50 compensation to Pc Savage and £85 towards court costs.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press