Driver clocked doing 146mph on A47
- Credit: Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team
Six drivers were caught in the space of just an hour doing speeds of more than 100mph on the A47 on Saturday - including one topping 146mph, more than double speed limit.
Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team's west contingent was based at the A47 at Terrington St John and was "shocked at some of the speeds they have seen".
In the space of about an hour they stopped drivers travelling at 103mph, two drivers at 105mph, one at 114mph, another at 127mph and the fastest at 146mph.
The driver travelling at 103mph was arrested on suspicion of drug driving after providing a positive drug test. All others were reported for the offences and will receive a summons through the post.
Sergeant Chris Harris, who heads up the unit, said: "We know that driving either too fast for the conditions or in excess of the speed limit will increase your chance of being involved in a collision resulting in death or serious injury which is why we target it all year round together with the other fatal four offences.
You may also want to watch:
"I am really shocked by the speeds the team have detected today and there is no excuse on the roads for any speeding, let alone a speed of 146mph. I'm just glad my team stopped the drivers before anyone was hurt, which at those speeds, the probability is very high."
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat