Jury sent home for weekend in Norwich rape trial
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
A jury in the trial of a man accused of rape and false imprisonment of a teenager he picked up in a nightclub in Prince of Wales Road has been sent home for the weekend.
Shahan Ali, 30, is alleged to have carried out the sex attack after meeting the 17-year-old girl in Reload nightclub, on Prince of Wales Road, in Norwich.
Norwich Crown Court has heard that the girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was taken back to the car park of the Holiday Inn on Ipswich Road, in Norwich.
It is said the complainant was later locked in the vehicle before Ali forced her to engage in a sexual act.
Ali, from Glasgow, has denied false imprisonment and rape on February 19, last year.
The jury of six men and six women were sent out Friday afternoon but after about an hour of deliberations were sent home for the weekend.
The jury will resume on Monday.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk