‘Reckless’ recovery driver caught speeding at 127mph on A47
- Credit: Archant
A 'reckless' recovery driver has been banned from the roads for 28 days after being caught speeding at 127mph on the A47.
And Stacey Godbold was told he had been speeding on a "really dangerous road" at Norwich Magistrates Court on Friday.
The 38-year-old was caught travelling at almost 60mph faster than the legal limit of 70mph, while driving a Ford Focus ST on May 11 this year at Terrington in west Norfolk.
He was caught by a speed detection device at around 4.20pm, and was found guilty under the Single Justice Procedure on August 7 at King's Lynn Magistrates Court.
But Jonathan Eales, for Godbold, told the court the case had been a "catalogue of disasters" for him, after his case appeared in the local newspaper.
You may also want to watch:
He added he had attended court only to find his case "was not on the list".
"His employers have been understanding, but annoyed," Mr Eales told the court.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
"Stability is his hallmark, and this has brought him into the limelight and he has hated it," he said.
He added: "He is profusely apologetic, and he won't be driving his car to work ever again.
"This is a man who really has learned his lesson."
Chair of the bench Dr Pierre Butikofer said the A47 was a "really dangerous" place to be speeding.
"There have been numerous road accidents and people killed on that road," he said.
"You must see that as a recovery driver as well. It is somewhat reckless to say the least. You know that A47 is a very dangerous road."
Godbold, of Windsor Drive, Wisbech, was banned from driving for 28 days and fined £450.
He must also pay a £45 victim surcharge and costs of £100.