Raider jailed after botched burglary bid at Norwich pub

PUBLISHED: 23:15 14 October 2018 | UPDATED: 10:12 15 October 2018

The Lollards Pit pub, Norwich. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

The Lollards Pit pub, Norwich. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2015

A bungling burglar who left traces of his own blood at a Norwich pub after trying to flee the scene when he set off the alarm has been jailed following a botched break-in.

Lollards Pit manager Jonathan Barnes. Picture: Denise BradleyLollards Pit manager Jonathan Barnes. Picture: Denise Bradley

Essa Al Dossary, 27, used car tyres to climb over the rear garden gate into the enclosed yard at the back of the Lollards Pit pub on Riverside Road in the early hours of the morning.

The offender then used a plant pot to smash a ground floor window before entering the pub for a matter of seconds before setting off the alarm.

Al Dossary, who did not take anything from the pub, fled the same way he had come in but cut himself in the process, leaving his blood at the scene.

Police attended and the offender, who was wearing blood stained clothing, was arrested by officers in nearby Gas Hill.

Al Dossary, of no fixes abode, was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison after he admitted an offence of entering a building, namely Lollards Pit, with intent to steal.

He was also ordered to pay £300 in compensation following damage caused to the pub.

Speaking after Al Dossary was sentenced at Norwich Magistrates Court at the end of last month, Jonathan Barnes, general manager of the pub said he was pleased the offender had been caught and dealt with so quickly.

He said: “It (the break-in) was not very well thought through.

“But it could’ve been a lot worse I suppose because he could’ve got away with anything.

“It’s just good the alarm system works and they got him.

“That was the main thing really, that he was dealt with really quickly. “It was surprising that it went through court the next day.”

But as pubs are going through something of a tough time at the moment, as reports of recent closures will testify, and Mr Barnes admitted the break-in, which happened on September 27, was something he could have done without.

He said: “We’re already running things quite tight because things are still quite tough for the pub trade and its one of these things you don’t need - to be woken up at 3.30am in the morning to go and deal with something like that.”

In 2015 following a previous raid, staff at the pub hit out after thieves walked off with a charity box kept on the bar.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press