Pendant sparked feud which led to fatal attack on Nick Rogers in Wymondham supermarket

PUBLISHED: 14:01 21 December 2017 | UPDATED: 16:52 21 December 2017

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Facebook

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham. Picture: Facebook


A pendant on a chain was the catalyst for a simmering dispute which turned into violence and resulted in the tragic death of Nick Rogers, it can be revealed.

Morrisons at Wymondham. Picture: DENISE BRADLEYMorrisons at Wymondham. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

The violent and ultimately fatal attack on Mr Rogers in front of terrified onlookers in the Morrisons store on July 17 was the culmination of a dispute between Mr Rogers and the Monk family.

Andrew Jackson, prosecuting, said: “The dispute had rather festered and had simmered along for about 12 months.”

It was not previously known what had caused the dispute, however we understand there was an ongoing row over a pendant on a chain which had gone missing.

The item of jewellery belonged to a mutual friend of Mr Rogers and Lee Monk but went missing.

The location of the Morrisons store in Wymondham. Graphic: Archant.The location of the Morrisons store in Wymondham. Graphic: Archant.

Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) who led the inquiry, said: “At the time Nick was staying with that particular friend, lodging with him.

“The mutual friend was a particular friend of Lee Monk’s.”

There was a fall out after the jewellery went missing with Lee Monk taking sides with the friend who had lost his jewellery.

“There was a split, that’s been going on for some time.

“There’s been verbal arguments if they saw one another.”

Det Chf Insp said some were reported to police, although many were not.

She said: “We know from Nick’s family that there’s been others but a lot we didn’t get involved in because they were that low level.”

Police were aware of a previous incident outside the Monk’s address, although they were not called, and another incident in the Co-op in January.

Whatever the reason for the fall out, Det Chf Insp James insisted the conclusion to the dispute was excessive and demonstrates the tragic consequences that can result.

She said: “I think it just goes to prove that frenzied acts of violence have consequences - 18 seconds and someone has died.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press