Man’s death could have been averted by more contact with doctors, inquest hears

PUBLISHED: 14:06 05 April 2018

Carrow House.

Carrow House. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2016

The death of a man who hanged himself could have been prevented had he made more contact with his surgery, an inquest heard today.

Paul Campbell, of Ensign Way in Diss, had a history of depression, but was not taking any medication.

Dr Nyi Nyi Pe of Lawns Medical Practice in Diss, told Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Norwich that Mr Campbell had also been diagnosed with work stress following complaints of trouble finding employment, and had taken Citalopram for one month in 2015.

Dr Pe advised Mr Campbell come back for a review in three to four weeks, but he never did.

This was discussed at a Significant Event Meeting at the practice.

Mr Campbell’s partner, Jemma Redhead, said that on November 4, 2017, Mr Campbell had said he was depressed and would book a doctor’s appointment, but did not do this either.

Ms Redhead gave evidence last December saying that Mr Campbell woke up on Monday, November 20 2017, got ready for work, said goodbye to his partner and young daughter and hanged himself.

When Ms Redhead did not hear Mr Campbell, a self-employed builder, leaving in his van, she found him unconscious and rang his sister and their neighbour Jackie Osborn, who rang the ambulance and performed CPR.

Paramedics arrived on the scene shortly after to find Mr Campbell not breathing but with a heartbeat, and took him to Norfolk and Norwich hospital, where he was declared dead at 9.07am.

A toxicology report detected no alcohol, but found some amphetamines in Mr Campbell’s bloodstream consistent with recreational drug use before death.

Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake said on Thursday, April 5 that with regards to the lack of any note, she could not rule out that Mr Campbell may have thought he would be found before he died.

Mrs Lake said on that basis she did not propose suicide and made no finding with regard to intention. She made a short narrative conclusion that the cause of death was hanging.

The inquest also heard from Ms Redhead that Mr Campbell had a painful lump in his leg, but refused to see a doctor, telling her: “If it takes me it will take me”.

She said: “I felt we were living a normal family life.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press