Long wait for justice over as rapist begins 16-year prison sentence

PUBLISHED: 23:00 15 March 2018 | UPDATED: 08:30 16 March 2018

Karl Raine. Picture Norfolk Constabulary.

Karl Raine. Picture Norfolk Constabulary.


A rape victim’s four-year wait for justice is finally over with her attacker starting a 16-year jail sentence today.

Karl Raine has once again been given a hefty prison sentence, after his retrial at Norwich Crown Court found him guilty of rape for a second time.

Raine spoke only to confirm his name on Thursday, and showed no emotion as his sentence of 16 years in prison, one year on license, was read out.

Raine’s address was given as Warren Avenue, Fakenham, when he was found guilty by jury on Tuesday.

Raine, 44, is charged with one count of rape with a girl under 13, two of sexual activity with a child, and three counts of making and taking indecent images of a child.

Prosecutor Duncan O’Donnell read a statement which detailed the impact of Raine’s manipulation on his victim. He read: “[The victim] suffers with PTSD, and is on the highest dosage oh anti-depressants she has ever been on.

“She was scared when she heard the case was coming back for retrial, she was worried the jury wouldn’t believe her again.

“She still gets flashbacks.”

Defending, Juliet Donovan had nothing to mitigate Raine’s actions.

Judge Stephen Holt told Raine: “I cannot impose a longer sentence due to this being a retrial, and you were not considered to be a dangerous man in your first trial.

“I would have no hesitation in calling you a dangerous man, but my hands are tied.”

Raine’s previous trial took place in August 2016, but was quashed due to a procedural irregularity.

Raine’s crimes first came to light in April 2014, when his home was raided by the Norfolk Police Safeguarding Children Online Team.

It was the result of intelligence from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, and led to Raine being arrested on June 28, 2014.

He was charged with six offences in April 2015 and released on police bail.

But after further information came to light police returned to Raine’s home in January 2016, when he threatened officers with an imitation firearm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press