Travellers move on from Park and Ride after court hearing
PUBLISHED: 11:29 19 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:19 20 June 2018
A group of travellers have been told they must leave a park and ride site in Norwich.
Norfolk County Council (NCC) was yesterday given permission by a court to evict travellers who had moved onto Costessey Park and Ride.
They were originally asked to leave the site by Sunday and NCC issued a summons on Monday for the travellers to attend Norwich Magistrates Court on Tuesday morning.
John Cross from NCC told the bench that when he met the travellers last week there was “no hostility between us when we first met them on the site and the group were well aware there would be a hearing today”.
NCC was granted an order to evict the group, along with their vehicles after the bench were satisfied with the written and photographic evidence.
However, Norfolk Police commented that instead of attending the court hearing, the travellers had moved on from the site at around 9.30am on Tuesday, during the time the hearing was taking place.
The travellers had been at the Park and Ride site since last Tuesday.
After the permission was given to NCC, it would mean that the council would have been able to serve an eviction notice and the group, along with the vehicles to leave the site by the end of Wednesday.
Costessey Park and Ride was previously occupied by travellers in May and the past few weeks have also seen travellers using Harford and Thickthorn Park and Ride sites.
They have also been camped at Bawburgh Parish Village Hall and on land opposite Next at Longwater, prompting calls for more traveller sites to be provided across Norfolk to reduce unauthorised encampments.
Jeremy Cooper, managing director of Konectbus which runs services from Costessey Park and Ride, said: “We are very grateful to the County Council and police for their support in dealing with the illegal encampments that have been set up on several sites at various times in recent weeks.
“Our site team must be commended for the colossal amount of effort they have put into clearing up the sites as soon as court action has required the encampments to disperse returning to the standards expected by our customers.”