Search

No trace of Corrie McKeague four weeks into fresh search and police have still not found any relevant rubbish

PUBLISHED: 11:26 20 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:26 20 November 2017

Corrie McKeague went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September last year. Pictures: CONTRIBUTED

Corrie McKeague went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September last year. Pictures: CONTRIBUTED

Archant

Specialist officers searching a landfill for missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague have still not found any rubbish dated from when the 23-year-old went missing - nearly a month into the restarted hunt.

Police began the fresh search on Monday, October 23. Picture: JOE GIDDENS/PA WIREPolice began the fresh search on Monday, October 23. Picture: JOE GIDDENS/PA WIRE

The fresh search for Corrie at the landfill site in Milton, Cambridgeshire, resumed on October 23, with officers concentrating on an area of cell 22, which was close to the location of the original 20-week hunt.

The timescale given for the new search was four to six weeks, but Suffolk police says it is reviewing its progress on a “week-by-week” basis.

Corrie went missing on September 24 last year after a night out in Bury St Edmunds. He was last seen on CCTV at 3.24am near a loading area behind Greggs, known as the horseshoe.

A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “As of the end of Friday, November 16, the search team have sifted through over 1,260 tonnes of waste. Progress by the search team is being reviewed on a week-by-week basis.

“A bulldozer has been bought on site in this past week to assist and lighting has also been on site since the beginning of the search.

“The team are currently finding material dated from around September 15-19, 2016. Nicola and Martin have both been kept updated as the search has progressed.”

The spokesman added that no decision has yet been made regarding any further searches should the current one yield no trace of the airman.

Posting on the Facebook group Find Corrie, Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart said: “The search continues at the landfill. So far they haven’t found anything that can be connected to Corrie.

“They are now bringing in a bulldozer to move the searched rubbish, and I have been assured that this will have no negative impact on the quality of the searching but will speed the process up.

“For this I am incredibly grateful as it is not easy waiting each day for a possible call.

“They have still not found any rubbish from the time Corrie disappeared, it is still earlier dates up to September 18.”

Last month, an independent review of Suffolk police’s investigation into the search for Corrie found it was “thorough, methodical and detailed” and that he is most likely to be in the landfill they are currently searching.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists