Man, 81, to appear in court charged with murder of wife at care home
- Credit: Archant
A man will appear in court this morning charged with murder, following the death of his wife in a care home on the edge of Norwich.
Officers were called to Grays Fair Court care home, in Dereham Road, New Costessey at 7.30pm on Friday, July 12 following reports a woman had been found dead inside the Norfolk County Council-run property.
Pending the formal opening of an inquest into the death, the woman has been provisionally identified as Doreen Virgo, 89 and from Mill Street in Buxton.
A Home Office post-mortem examination conducted on Sunday showed she died from a compression of the neck.
Following a joint investigation by Norfolk and Suffolk Police, Mick Virgo, 81, of Mill Street, Buxton, has been charged with murder.
You may also want to watch:
He was remanded in custody after being released from hospital after treatment and is due to appear at Norwich Magistrates Court this morning (Wednesday, July 17).
Anyone with information regarding the investigation should contact the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team on 101 quoting Operation Shorne.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
Norfolk County Council said staff and residents at Grays Fair Court, where it is believed Doreen Virgo was a resident, were being supported by the care home's management team and the council's well-being service.