‘Peacemaker’ stabbed three times in Great Yarmouth street fight

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd. - Credit: Archant

A man told a court how he was stabbed three times while acting as a peacemaker after a row over a damaged car in Great Yarmouth.

Giving evidence before a jury at Norwich Crown Court, Rabeh Rashid told how he tried to calm things down after a friend got involved in a row with another group over alleged damage to a car by a man on a bike, in St Peter's Road.

He said he tried to calm things down and said: 'I tried to tell them that nothing happened. We don't need any problems.'

But he said the man on the bike, who denied causing any damage, was annoyed and wanted to fight and challenged his friend saying: 'I want him to come and fight with me.'

He said he tried to stop them fighting but then he saw one of the men suddenly pull something from his waistband and noticed a black-handled object in his hand before he was stabbed in his arm, chest and back.

You may also want to watch:

Mr Rashid said he was the first to be attacked and did not immediately realise he had even been stabbed: 'I realised I was bleeding. I was hit in my arm, chest and the back. I felt the blood on my jacket.'

Mr Rashid said he phoned 999 for help and said police were quickly on the scene and helped stop the bleeding.

Most Read

Mr Rashid said he was taken to the James Paget University Hospital for treatment.

Junior Mampuya, 21, and Apio Gomes, 20, both of St Peters Road, Great Yarmouth have denied three counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

The jury has heard how Mr Rashid was one of three men injured with stab wounds following reports of a fight in the street involving a number of people.

Another witness Laura Morris, who gave evidence from behind a screen, told how she felt 'sick to her stomach' when she witnessed the disturbance.

She said there was a group of people in the street with a lot of shouting, pushing and shoving going on.

She said some were trying to act as peacemakers but the incident escalated and she realised someone had been stabbed.

'It took me a moment to realise that someone had been stabbed. I felt sick to my stomach. I knew something bad had happened.'

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter