Man who killed Nick Rogers in Morrisons supermarket is jailed for 11 years

PUBLISHED: 12:54 01 February 2018 | UPDATED: 19:29 01 February 2018

Lee Monk. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Lee Monk. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary


A 20-year-old who killed another man after he attacked him in a Wymondham supermarket has been sentenced to 11 years detention.

CCTV footage from Morrisons showing Nick Rogers and Lee Monk. Photo: Norfolk PoliceCCTV footage from Morrisons showing Nick Rogers and Lee Monk. Photo: Norfolk Police

Nick Rogers was assaulted by Lee Monk, 20, after they met while shopping in Morrisons in Wymondham, shortly after 7.30pm on July 17.

Mr Rogers died in hospital the following day, aged 26, after suffering a “catastrophic” brain injury.

Lee Monk, who was found guilty of manslaughter last month following a trial at Norwich Crown Court, was today sentenced to 11 years in a young offenders’ institution.

Judge Stephen Holt described the kick which he said caused the fatal blow to Mr Rogers as he lay defenceless on the floor as “sickening”.

Comparing it to the type of force used by a rugby player to convert a try, Judge Holt said it was “vicious” and “cowardly”.

Before Lee Monk was sentenced the court heard from Mr Rogers’ devastated mother Susan who bravely spoke out in person about the impact her son’s death has had on her and her family.

In the highly emotional statement she described how, “in the blink of an eye my whole world was turned upside down” following her son’s death.

She said she felt as if her “heart had been torn out of my body” after receiving a call to say what had happened.

She described the horror of seeing paramedics try and revive her son whose lifeless body was on the cold supermarket floor.

Mrs Rogers also said she wanted to “set the record straight” about Lee Monk’s supposed past friendship with her son.

She said: “You don’t get to call Nick your friend.

“You made his life a misery, friends don’t do that.

“Friends don’t go into a supermarket and unleash Armageddon into someone they call a friend.

“You have taken one of my most precious possessions, my first born child.”

She added: “I will never until the day I die forgive you for what you did.

“You have ruined my life.”

Andrew Jackson, prosecuting, said the CCTV showed that there was an intention by Monk to cause harm and falling not far short of an intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Jude Durr, Monk’s defence barrister, said on any view the incident was a spontaneous, unpremeditated unplanned incident.

He said Monk “simply lashed out with his foot” at the end of a short incident lasting only a matter of seconds.

Mr Durr said other mitigating factors include his age, Monk was only 19 at the time, lack of previous convictions and genuine remorse.

With emotions running high before the hearing Lee Monk’s uncle John Monk was arrested on Judge Holt’s orders for a “contempt of court”.

John Monk had also been in trial last month but was cleared of murder.

Following last month’s trial both Lee Monk, of Silfield Road, Wymondham, and John Monk, formerly of Albini Way, Wymondham, were also found not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Leo Wardrop, who was a friend of Mr Rogers and was with him in the supermarket.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press