Man tasered twice after he bit two Norfolk police officers and attacked a PCSO during melee in Thetford

PUBLISHED: 16:27 13 February 2018

Norwich Magistrates' Court. Picture: Denise Bradley.

Norwich Magistrates' Court. Picture: Denise Bradley.


A man had to be tasered twice after he bit two police officers and bent the back the fingernail of a third officer, a court has heard.

Police had been looking for Peter Nettlingham, 27, following concerns for his safety after he had sent a text to his father stating he was going to take his own life.

One police officer was bitten on the left bicep while another was bitten on the leg during a struggle which occurred after they found Nettlingham in Thetford.

A PCSO also had her fingernail “bent halfway up the nail” during the melee in which the defendant was tasered twice after he tried to grab and pull the trigger of one of the officers’ tasers.

One police officer went to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital for a blood test and treatment after the incident which happened on August 23 last year.

The case, which was before Norwich Magistrates Court on Tuesday (February 13), comes just days after six frontline police officers were assaulted in Norfolk on Friday night, with one sergeant being punched in the face.

Nettlingham, of Clover Way, Thetford, had also pleaded guilty to stealing £2,220 from his former employer Sainsbury’s as part of a separate theft matter between December 2016 and June 2017.

He was given 24 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 18 months and also ordered to pay each of the officers £150 in compensation.

Sentencing Nettlingham, District Judge Nicholas Watson said attacking police officers was “serious” while biting them was “particularly unpleasant”.

He said: “Not only does it cause injury but it also causes fear of infection or disease. The officers who were bitten were no doubt very worried about the consequences of your behaviour.”

Jeremy Kendall, mitigating for Nettlingham, said his client, who prior to these matters had no previous convictions, has been diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder and received treatment in hospital following his arrest in August last year.

He said his client had been greatly affected by the breakup of his marriage, which has affected contact with his children, in August 2016 and the loss of his grandfather last year.

He said he accepted he “reacted badly” but insisted the behaviour was completely out of character.

As previously reported there have been calls to increase the penalties for those who attack police officers and ambulance service staff.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press