Man in custody after A47 shooting near Wisbech
Firearms officers on scene as suspect apprehended on suspicion of attempted murder
A 40-year-old man remains in custody after being arrested in connection with the A47 shooting incident near Wisbech in the early hours of Saturday.
A man, from the Wisbech area, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Leverington after police traced the person who they believe forced a car off the A47. The busy road was closed for ten hours as a result.
A police spokesman confirmed that no shots were fired when officers made the arrest, despite initially saying that there had been.
The man is currently being held at Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
Insp Terry Furlong said: 'Firearms officers were on scene to assist with the operation, that was very carefully and meticulously planned and executed.
'The arrest was led by a tactical firearm commander. Firearms officers were present because of the threat in relation to the type of incident on Saturday and that threat needed to be countered.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 9 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
'When we are fully prepared and have the high ground we have the control to carry out a safe arrest.'
Fenland's busiest road was closed between Guyhirn and Wisbech until late Sunday afternoon while forensic officers investigated the scene.
Officers initially said the road had been shut following a collision between two cars at 4am but later revealed that a firearm had been involved in the incident.
A 25-year-old man from Guyhirn sustained minor injuries after his car was forced off the road and flipped over.
He discharged himself from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn, where he was taken with non life-threatening injuries.
A police spokesman said the road remained closed for so long because officers needed to complete forensic work before the vehicle was removed.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident on Saturday. If you have any information call 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.