Man appears in court charged with the attempted murder of two male prison officers at HMP Norwich
- Credit: Steve Adams
An inmate in a jail has appeared in court charged with the attempted murder of two male prison officers.
Cairo Adams, 21, is accused of attacking the officers at Norwich Prison on June 11 2017.
The incident involved a prison officer, who suffered a neck injury, and had been working there for less than a week. Two other officers were also hurt in the attack.
He appeared before Norwich Magistrates' Court by videolink from Whitemoor Prison near March, Cambridgeshire.
No pleas were taken and he was remanded in custody to appear at Norwich Crown Court on December 14.
You may also want to watch:
In the six months to June this year there were a total of 151 assaults reported in HMP Norwich.
The latest figures from the MoJ show there were 73 attacks on staff in the prison last year, more than treble the number in 2013.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
The rise in attacks has been blamed on overcrowding and staff shortages.