Man found guilty of killing Nick Rogers in Morrisons

Lee Monk. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Lee Monk. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary - Credit: Archant

A man has been warned he faces a 'substantial' prison sentence after being found guilty of a fatal attack on a 26-year-old man in a Morrisons supermarket.

Nick Rogers. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Nick Rogers. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary - Credit: Archant

Nick Rogers was assaulted by Lee Monk, 20, after they met while shopping in the store in Wymondham, shortly after 7.30pm on July 17.

Mr Rogers died in hospital the following day, after suffering a 'catastrophic' brain injury.

Lee Monk and his uncle John Monk, 44, who was also alleged to have taken part in the attack, had been on trial at Norwich Crown Court after being accused of murder.

MORE: 'Every time I go shopping I see him laying on the floor' - Shopper on aftermath of fatal attack in Morrisons

But after more than nine hours of deliberations a jury found them both not guilty of murder.

The jury did however find Lee Monk guilty of manslaughter.

He will be sentenced on February 1 next year with Judge Stephen Holt warning the defendant must understand 'there will be no other sentence than a substantial custodial sentence'.

Most Read

Both Lee Monk, of Silfield Road, Wymondham, and John Monk, of Albini Way, Wymondham, were also found not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Leo Wardrop, who was a friend of Mr Rogers and was with him in the supermarket.

Both Lee and John sobbed in the dock as the verdicts were announced.

There was also tears in the public gallery among family members of Lee and John Monk who called out 'love you' as both were led back to the cells.

John Monk will walk out a free man after being acquitted of both offences while Lee Monk will contemplate a long sentence following his conviction for manslaughter.

The court heard Nick had gone into Morrisons with a friend where he had a chance encounter with Lee Monk. The pair, who had fallen out previously, became involved in verbal dispute near the checkouts, which quickly escalated into a fight.

CCTV shows Nick being punched, which resulted in him falling to the floor where he was kicked in the back of the head by Lee.

Nick managed to get to his feet, but only staggered a short distance before collapsing and losing consciousness.

Officers arrived on scene shortly after 7.50pm to find Nick unconscious on the floor, where he was being tended to by supermarket staff and other shoppers. He was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. He died the next day.

The trial had heard there had been a simmering dispute between Mr Rogers and the Monk family.

Andrew Jackson, prosecuting, said: 'The dispute had rather festered and had simmered along for about 12 months.'

He said when Lee Monk spotted Mr Rogers in the store the simmering dispute erupted into violence.

Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, who led the investigation, said: 'Nick needlessly lost his life through an act of violence. Frenzied attacks and acts of violence have consequences for all involved. There has been some justice today however nothing will make things better for the family and friends of Nick.

'They have lost a son, a brother and a friend who continues to be missed by those still struggling to come to terms with his untimely death.'