Man convicted of firearms offence by jury
PUBLISHED: 07:54 14 October 2015 | UPDATED: 07:54 14 October 2015
copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434
A man will be sentenced next month after he was found guilty of possessing a firearm when prohibited.
Alfred Freestone, 54, had gone on trial at Norwich Crown Court after he denied possessing the firearms, which were found at his home when he was arrested in connection with a separate offence.
Freestone told the jury he had told his daughter to remove the weapons, which he claimed had been dropped off at his house by another man while he was drinking at the pub with his son.
But although the firearms were still at his address when he returned from the pub late in the evening on November 1 last year, Freestone told the court he had not seen three of the weapons in the hallway.
His version of events was rejected by the jury of eight women and four men, who yesterday took less than two and a half hours to find him unanimously guilty.
Mr Justice Stuart-Smith said Freestone, of Wade Close, Aylsham, would be sentenced on November 6.
The trial had heard Freestone was dressed in just his underpants when police arrived at his home to arrest him in connection with an affray.
The defendant had claimed he had not seen the weapons on returning home from the pub.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.