Man convicted of pointing loaded gun at ex-girlfriend after she broke up with him

PUBLISHED: 13:04 27 March 2018 | UPDATED: 13:04 27 March 2018

Norwich Crown Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Norwich Crown Court. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY


A man faces a lengthy jail term after he was convicted of pointing a loaded firearm at his ex-girlfriend and her mother when they came to his house to collect her belongings after she broke up with him.

Abdul Bailey, 21, pointed the weapon in the face of the 20-year-old woman when she met Bailey at his step-grandfather’s house on Mattishall Road, East Tuddenham, on January 6, last year.

Bailey was found guilty at Norwich Crown Court of possessing a semi-automatic pistol, two counts of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, and possessing a firearm and ammunition when prohibited following a prison sentence. He was cleared of possessing 96 rounds of long rifle bullets.

Also in the dock is Bailey’s mother Cindy Burr, 49, and his sister Sumayyah Bailey, 19, both of Station Road, Great Ryburgh, who along with Bailey were convicted of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Judge Anthony Bate adjourned sentence for all three until April 26 and ordered reports for Burr and Sumayyah Bailey.

Judge Bate warned that Abdul Bailey could face a mandatory minimum sentence of five years for the firearms offences.

During the trial the ex-girlfriend told how she turned up to collect her belongings while her mother waited outside in her car.

She said Bailey pulled out a gun from an inside pocket of his coat: “He put it in my face.”

She claimed he put the gun away in his pocket but as she rushed down the stairs Bailey grabbed her and she fell backwards and started screaming.

She said her screams were heard by Bailey’s grandad and her mother, who came to her aid.

Bailey had then pointed the gun at the mother and daughter, and the grandfather told them both to run and they managed to escape from the house and call police.

The incident sparked a firearms team to be deployed and Bailey was arrested. The gun was later found in woods nearby wrapped in a tea towel – the serial number drilled off to prevent identification.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press