Man charged with murder of estranged wife appears in court
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
A man charged with murder of his estranged wife in Norwich has appeared before magistrates.
Officers were called to an address at Highfields, Costessey, shortly before 11pm on Saturday, February 15, to reports that a woman had been found dead.
Cornelius Van Der Ploeg, 63, of Oxmoor Avenue, Hadley, Telford, appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court via a link from Wymondham police headquarters for the short hearing on Monday.
He is charged with the murder of Cherith Van Der Ploeg, 60, on February 15 this year. No plea was taken.
Asked by the court clerk if his nationality was Dutch, grey haired Van Der Ploeg did not reply.
You may also want to watch:
His case was sent to Norwich Crown Court for a further hearing on Tuesday. Ian Fisher appeared for Van Der Ploeg, who was remanded in custody.
A cordon around the property at Highfields has since been removed. A Home Office post mortem examination was carried out on Monday.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us