Man charged with murder of estranged wife appears in court
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
A man charged with murder of his estranged wife in Norwich has appeared before magistrates.
Officers were called to an address at Highfields, Costessey, shortly before 11pm on Saturday, February 15, to reports that a woman had been found dead.
Cornelius Van Der Ploeg, 63, of Oxmoor Avenue, Hadley, Telford, appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court via a link from Wymondham police headquarters for the short hearing on Monday.
He is charged with the murder of Cherith Van Der Ploeg, 60, on February 15 this year. No plea was taken.
Asked by the court clerk if his nationality was Dutch, grey haired Van Der Ploeg did not reply.
You may also want to watch:
His case was sent to Norwich Crown Court for a further hearing on Tuesday. Ian Fisher appeared for Van Der Ploeg, who was remanded in custody.
A cordon around the property at Highfields has since been removed. A Home Office post mortem examination was carried out on Monday.
- 1 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 5 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 10 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak