Man awaiting surgery after being hit on head during Norwich nightclub incident
- Credit: EDP/ Archant © 2003
A 20-year-old man is awaiting surgery after he was believed to have been hit on the head with a bottle in the early hours of Friday morning during an incident at a Norwich nightclub.
The man suffered serious injuries at Mercy XS, on Prince of Wales Road, when officers were called to the venue following reports of a disturbance inside the club at about 1.45am.
A handful of people were involved in an argument, which started on the dance floor, and a 20-year-old man was hit on the side of his head, believed with a bottle, which caused an arterial bleed to the head.
It comes just weeks after a 42-year-old front-line police constable underwent surgery in hospital after another assault in the city, which resulted in a female officer also being assaulted. This reignited the debate over the city's late night drinking culture. Click here for more.
You may also want to watch:
Detective sergeant Andy Barker, from Norwich CID, said: 'This was a very serious incident which has left a man with severe injuries which will require surgery today.'
The victim was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where he is awaiting surgery and is described as being in a stable condition.
- 1 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 2 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 3 How close is Norfolk to tier 1?
- 4 Major boost for £100m campaign to reintroduce rail travel between two Norfolk towns
- 5 Dead sperm whale washes up on Norfolk coast
- 6 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 7 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Seafront flats plan set for go ahead
- 10 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
Several people were thrown out of the club and police dealt with a second incident outside the nightclub where a 19-year-old man was assaulted by being punched in the face. The man suffered a bloody nose and was given first aid at the scene.
Four men were arrested shortly after the incident and were taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre where they remain in custody.
Two 20-year-olds and two other suspects aged 24 and 27, will be questioned on suspicion of assault causing grievous bodily harm. The 27-year-old was further arrested in connection with the second incident which happened outside the venue.
Police have now launched an investigation and detectives are keen to hear from anyone who may have been at the club and witnessed either incident.
• Witnesses should contact Norwich CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.