Long sentences for gang which sold drugs in Norwich

PUBLISHED: 07:09 29 March 2011 | UPDATED: 12:12 29 March 2011

Linford Goode, one of the drug dealers jailed at Norwich Crown Court yesterday <mon 28/3/11>.

Linford Goode, one of the drug dealers jailed at Norwich Crown Court yesterday .

Members of a drug gang who sold crack cocaine and heroin on the streets of Norwich have been jailed for a total of more than 40 years.

Norwich Crown Court heard how the gang - which brought the drugs to the city from London - was turning over about £20,000 a week by selling the drugs on the streets through a network of small-scale dealers and even the historic landmark of Cow Tower was turned in to an unofficial “drugs kiosk” for the distribution.

However, the gang was smashed after police launched an operation codenamed Kiwi in which an undercover officer called Jim was sold crack cocaine and heroin by gang members at a number of locations around the city including Wensum and Waterloo parks.

Among those arrested included 24 year-old Linford Goode, who was said to have “pulled all the strings” and ran the operation by mobile phone from London making and receiving thousands of calls from customers wanting to be supplied with drugs, which were all of a high purity.

The judge in the case praised Norfolk police for bringing to justice such a key player as Goode as dealers like him usually managed to evade capture by keeping themselves at arms length from the drug dealing operation.

He warned that it sent out a message to those who got involved in drug running to Norfolk that they were likely to be caught.

Christopher Youell, prosecuting, said that network involved drugs being brought to Norwich from London by couriers who had drugs worth about £5000 to £7000 a time.

He said that police deployed an undercover officer who was sold crack cocaine and heroin in a number of street deals.

Mr Youell said that Goode was the person answering the phone and would direct people where to go to buy the drugs and would then direct the sellers where to go.

The “substantial operation” also employed Deland Payne, 24, also from London, who was an enforcer and collected the money for the drugs. He was arrested on the A11 in a van on April 26 last year and was found to have a small quantity of heroin and crack cocaine on him.

Huseyin Emin,20 and Adem Karatas, 22, were delivery drivers sometimes coming up on a daily basis from London to Norwich to bring in the drugs and were getting paid about £300 a time. Mortaza Robaee 24, also helped in the delivery of the drugs from London.

Goode was jailed 10 years for his part in the conspiracy and Robaee was jailed for six years.

Payne was jailed for four years and Emin and Karatas each jailed for three years and three months.

Sentencing them Judge Alasdair Darroch said: “This was a very significant drug operation involving the distribution of a large quantity of high purity Class A drugs brought up specifically from London to Norwich. I have no doubt very substantial profits were made. It is not often that anyone quite so involved as Goode is found and caught and police must be commended for the way they conducted the operation.”

Bernard Tetlow for Goode said that he was not the only person to be answering the phone to customers.

“There were others above him in the supply chain.”

Amelia Fasuhene for Payne, said that he had got involved after he lost his job as a heating engineer and wanted to support his family.

Jamie Sawyer for Emin said that his role was as a runner for a limited period.

Michael Clare for Karatas said that his role was that of a delivery man.

Charles Myatt for Robaee, said: “He was bringing drugs from London to Norwich. He was clearly not high up the chain.”

Superintendent Paul Sanford, who heads the Norwich police district, welcomed the sentencing.

He said: “This operation targeted an organised group of offenders who were conspiring to supply drugs into the communities of Norwich. “The investigation has seen a huge number of drug dealers taken off the streets and put behind bars.”

A number of other gang members involved in selling cocaine and heroin to an undercover police officer were also in court.

Chris Youell, prosecuting said that many of them were at the time of the undercover operation themselves addicts and sold drugs to support their habit.

The court heard that many of them since their arrest had now taken steps to try to beat their addiction.

Gavin Triggs, 33, of no fixed address and Colin Hughes, 45 of no fixed addresss were both jailed for two and half years; Adam Buckenham, 41 of no fixed address; Wayne Bunting, of Colsfoot Road, Horsford, and John Chapman, 24, of no fixed address were all jailed for two years three months.

Paul Jolley, 38, from Chelmsford was jailed for two years and Paula Chapman, 25, of no fixed address was jailed for a year.

Kelly Hume, 36 of Douro Place, Norwich, was given a 12 month community order and Emma Marshall, 33, of no fixed address was also given a 12 month community order with 250 hours unpaid work.

Portia Bunting, 31 of Colsfoot Road, Horsford, was given 18 months supervision and Andrea Clarke, 40, of Heathgate, Norwich was given a six month community order.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press