20-year-old man told he could face prison after court found he dragged disabled woman out of wheelchair
PUBLISHED: 16:32 11 October 2018 | UPDATED: 16:32 11 October 2018
A 20-year-old man has been told he could face prison after he was found guilty of assaulting para show jumper Susi Rogers-Hartley.
Kyle Fenton of Lynn, Road Wiggenhall St Germans, was found guilty of using threatening behaviour and assaulting Ms Rogers-Hartley and possessing an offensive weapon.
Co-defendant Peter Shackloth was found not guilty on all counts while a 17-year-old who can not be named for legal reasons was found guilty on two out of four counts.
On Wednesday, King’s Lynn magistrates heard from prosecution witnesses that Fenton approached Ms Rogers-Hartley with a metal wrench in his hand during a row outside her home on August 20 last year.
Witnesses said Ms Rogers-Hartley grabbed the wrench and a struggle ensued between them, which ended with Ms Rogers-Hartley being yanked out of her wheelchair and dragged across the road.
In his evidence earlier this morning, Fenton told the court he did not hold a weapon and did not drag the victim out of her wheelchair.
But chairman of the bench Roger Marston told a solemn-looking Fenton that although there were some minor inconsistencies with the prosecution witness evidence, it was proven beyond reasonable doubt that he carried an offensive weapon and assaulted and threatened Susi Rogers-Hartley.
A tearful Fenton was told he will be sentenced at a later date in crown court, where the charge of carrying an offensive weapon could be deemed category A, culpability B, with a sentencing starting point of nine months’ imprisonment.
Peter Shackloth walked free after magistrates found him not guilty of threatening Susi Rogers-Hartley and possessing an offensive weapon.
The juvenile defendant was found guilty of assaulting Ms Rogers-Hartley’s partner Simon Wheeler after he punched him on the head during the row, and guilty of using threatening behaviour towards Ms Rogers-Hartley.
He was found not guilty of criminal damage after Ms Rogers-Hartley’s wheelchair control was broken during the argument and not guilty of assaulting her neighbour Barbara Morris, which the magistrates accepted was self defence after Ms Morris shoved him first.
The juvenile will be sentenced at the youth court in King’s Lynn on Tuesday, November 20.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.