Man jailed for spitting and kicking at police officers in frenzied attack

King's Lynn Magistrates' Court, The Court House, College Lane, King's Lynn. Picture: Ian Burt.

King's Lynn Magistrates' Court, The Court House, College Lane, King's Lynn. Picture: Ian Burt. - Credit: IAN BURT

A man who spat at two police officers during a frenzied attack has been jailed for 21 weeks.

Jamie Kingshott, 34, denied spitting at Pc Trina Buckland during an incident in King's Lynn on March 17.

At a trial in King's Lynn Magistrates' Court, prosecutor Paul Roach said Pc Buckland had arrested a wanted man who was walking with Kingshott in Loke Road.

Pc Buckland said Kingshott spat at her face, spat at the police car and threw a plastic lighter at her head - all while she was holding onto a detainee, who had remained calm and compliant throughout.

In a statement, she said she had dealt with Kingshott on previous occasions and knew he had Hepatitis C.

You may also want to watch:

'Immediately after the incident I was sick with worries about Hepatitis C, causing me undue stress and anxiety,' she added.

'He's one of the only people who is unpredictable, who genuinely scares me and makes me feel uneasy. I'm aware he's assaulted many police officers in the past.'

Most Read

As Pc Buckland gave evidence in court, Kingshott made a gun motion with his hands and pointed at the officer whilst sat in the dock.

He was subsequently made to leave the courtroom for the duration of the prosecution's case and returned to give evidence himself, where he denied spitting at the officer but apologised for his behaviour.

Defending, Andrew Spence said Kingshott had been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in 2001 and has a history of drug misuse.

He added: 'He struggles very much with mental health difficulties and his mental illness is a significant factor. It's inextricably linked to his behaviour.'

Magistrates found Kingshott guilty of the offence and sentenced him to 12 weeks in prison.

At an earlier hearing, Kingshott pleaded guilty to two further counts of assaulting a police officer relating to the same incident, in which he spat at a Police sergeant and kneed Pc Jim Haresign as they were trying to arrest him.

He also pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour against Pc Buckland and was in breach of three suspended sentences for two counts of police assault and one theft.

Chairman of the bench Anna Piggott added a further nine weeks imprisonment for those offences - five weeks for assaulting PS Staff, to run consecutively, and another five weeks for assaulting Pc Jim Haresign, to run concurrently.

For the threatening behaviour, he was given a concurrent sentence of one week.

His suspended sentences for two previous police assaults were also activated - four weeks for count one to run consecutively and a further four weeks for count two to run concurrently.

For the theft, he was given a concurrent sentence of four weeks imprisonment.

He was also ordered to pay £400 compensation to PC Buckland, £100 to PS Staff and £50 to PC Haresign.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter