Jailed in Norfolk in October: Hospital worker, skateboarder and butane gas user
PUBLISHED: 14:45 01 November 2017 | UPDATED: 09:28 02 November 2017
Here is our monthly look back at some of the criminals jailed in Norfolk courts in October.
• A 73-year-old man was jailed for 22 years for a string of sexual offences against young girls under 16, including rape.
Alan Brown, of Poplar Farm Park, Totternhoe, was found guilty of 18 sexual offences at King’s Lynn Crown Court.
• A 50-year-old man who sexually abused a young girl was jailed for six years and placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.
Mark O’Neill, of Chester Way, Thetford, had denied the sex assaults on the girl but was convicted by a jury following a trial at Norwich Crown Court.
• A Dereham man started an 11-and-a-half year jail sentence in October for “thoroughly abhorrent” crimes against a two-year-old girl.
Matthew Carter, 45, of Limassol Road, Dereham, was sentenced for rape and possessing indecent images of children, which he admitted at an earlier hearing. The court heard he had accessed indecent images of children on his computer and this led to him sexually abusing the child.
• A former staff member at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital was jailed for 32 months for a theft of £153,000 from the hospital’s charitable fund.
Steven Hart, 42, of Arlington Close, Attleborough, who admitted the theft, claimed he stole the cash over a six-year period to pay for his chronic alcohol addiction and covered up by faking invoices and forging signatures for payments. But a Norwich Crown Court judge said that he found it hard to accept that he had blown all the cash on alcohol.
• A skateboarder who assaulted Notre Dame High School caretaker Roy Money after being asked to leave the grounds was jailed for 22 months.
Jack Place, 20, of St Mary’s Grove, Sprowston, previously pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Money.
• A man who has repeatedly refused to stop inhaling butane gas on Norwich streets was jailed for 32 months.
Andrew Francis, 37, of no fixed address, had been banned from inhaling butane gas as part of a criminal behaviour order (CBO) imposed in July this year. He breached that order 13 times in just three months.
• A 19-year-old Great Yarmouth man who was found with crack cocaine and heroin was jailed for 14 months.
Nathan Sadik, of Milton Road, was found with 16 wraps of crack cocaine, with a street value of £160 and 34 wraps of heroin, with a street value of £340, which were found in a yellow pouch at the side of his bed when police searched his address, Norwich Crown Court was told. He admitted possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.
• A man who installed an iron gate which fell on a grandmother and crushed her to death has been jailed for three-and-a-half years.
Robert Churchyard, 52, of Turner Road, Norwich, was convicted of manslaughter by gross negligence following a trial at Norwich Crown Court. He was also convicted of an offence under the Heath and Safety at Work Act at a separate trial.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.