Heacham woman found almost four times the drink drive limit given suspended jail sentence
- Credit: Archant
A woman who had consumed a half bottle of vodka drove home in her car because she did not want to walk past her ex-boyfriend's home, a court heard.
Jane Hook, of Freda England Close, Heacham, near King's Lynn, was found with 130mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, while the legal limit is 35mcg.
The 38-year-old pleaded guilty to drink-driving and King's Lynn magistrates handed her an eight-week sentence suspended for 12 months.
She must also pay a victim surcharge of £80 and court costs of £150, and was banned from driving for 30 months.
Giles Beaumont, prosecuting, said she was spotted by police officers taking a 'very wide turn' round a corner and her actions put her in the top bracket for exceeding the limit.
You may also want to watch:
For Hook, James MacWhirter said she had suffered with depression over a number of years and, at its worst, she had difficulty getting out of bed in the morning.
He said Hook consumed a half bottle of vodka while sitting in her car, before driving about 400 yards to her home from her father's property, after dropping off his weekly shop.
- 1 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 2 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 3 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 4 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 5 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 6 Norfolk man jailed for part in raids to blow up cashpoints
- 7 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 8 Man fined for swearing at neighbours during lockdown barbeque
- 9 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
Mr MacWhirter added Hook had not wanted to walk past the nearby house of a former boyfriend who she claimed had abused her, so felt she had to drive.
'She got herself into such a state that she turned to drink in the car,' he said.