Five fined £75 each for spitting in the street
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Five people have been fined £75 for spitting in the street in a council crackdown.
Enforcement officers employed by Fenland handed out five fixed penalty notices for the offense in Wisbech during October, says a report to councillors.
They also fined 35 people for littering and 17 for drinking alcohol in breach of a public space protection order.
In October 12 littering cases were heard at Peterborough magistrates court and 11 people were found guilty and fined a total of £410. One case has been adjourned for a trial in January following a not guilty plea.
Two further people paid a total fine of £150 prior to their court date and the matter was withdrawn.
You may also want to watch:
That same month, there were 184 fly tipping incidents in Fenland, including 72 in Wisbech. One person was given a £400 fixed penalty notice.
The report says 253 fixed penalty notices were issued for littering and spitting between April and October across Fenland.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 3 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 6 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 7 Woman in 70s knocked over by cyclist at bus station
- 8 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 9 Norwich man found guilty of 33-year-old's murder
- 10 Home baker opens first shop after business 'snowballed' in lockdown